Trans-Canada Trail (TCT) Phases 2 and 3
In 2016, the Greater Bragg Creek Trails Association (GBCTA) completed phase 1 of the section of the TCT that will link the hamlet of Bragg Creek with trails in Kananaskis Country. The GBCTA is pleased to announce that, on March 24, we and Rocky View County signed Construction and Maintenance/Operation Agreements for phases 2 and 3.
There have been a huge number of permits and approvals required for various aspects of the creation of this trail. Most recently, on March 17, GBCTA received an Alberta Environment Water Act Approval for wetland disturbance since portions of the trail will cross marshland. Clearing of trees and shrubs from the 5 km trail alignment was completed from March 25-31 by Bragg Creek Excavating. Tread construction will commence in May, once ground conditions and weather are favourable.
Funding for this portion of Canada’s key legacy trail has always been challenging. Nonetheless, we have been fortunate to have received major support from Rocky View County, TCT Foundation, CFEP, Alberta TrailNet, and The Calgary Foundation. With great advocacy from councillor Liz Breakey, Rocky View County is still working on approvals for the $300,000 in additional funding needed to complete the project.
There are many people and organizations who must be thanked for their efforts and contributions:
- Robert Sadee, who started this project over 10 years ago
- The Rocky View County Technical Team, Administration, Council and Recreation Board West
- Mcelhanney for completing the trail design and engineering
- Westhoff for obtaining the Water Act Approval for wetland disturbance
- Bragg Creek landowners who provided us with feedback and, in some cases, have given us rights-of-way on their properties to allow the trail to move a little further from the main road
Funding permitting, the plan is to complete the WBC TCT Phases 2-3 by early September 2017, providing safe self-propelled travel along the West Bragg Creek road and completing an important link in the trail that crosses our great country.
For further information, please contact the GBCTA at: email@example.com